Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Snow!

I happened to be in the area when the news came in - there were new snowy sims to explore!

Like a kid listening to the radio on a Thursday morning in winter, I felt that Snow Day surge of joy! A quick check of my wardrobe showed virtually nothing adequate to protect me from wintery elements. I donned a long black jacket, jeans and some red high-tops and was good-to-go.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usChecked the map and saw crowds forming in various regions to my south. Atlas isn't too far from the snowline, as it turns out. My friend L agreed to join me for a minute and we popped over to a remote, snowclad mountaintop - just mountains, trees and snow. Serene, beautiful and completely unprecedents here in Second Life. I was awestruck. And chilly.

L had to leave but I continued to explore. Another map-check showed crowds forming in a couple locations so I flew off to join the excitement. Followed a highway for a while but realized I was getting into a more temperate zone so I pursued a course due south to a very craggy mountainous region.

A chalet appeared in the distance - the perfect place to toast your chilly toes in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. I vowed to return but pressed on. Snow Day Fever was in full force!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usI discovered some lift lines and followed them up a very steep mountain slope. At the summit was the impromptu SL party of the day. About 30 people were clustered at this summit, chatting and glorying in the beautifully flaky snow currently falling. Giant flakes materialized and drifted to the ground. A supreme winter wonderland.

Snowballs flew. A snowman was constructed. Someone created a huge snowball and offered rides down the mountain on it. How could I refuse? We plummeted down the mountain in a furious flurry of rolling snow, arms and legs. Exhilerating!

At the bottom, by the operational ski lift, people were assembling and trying out snowboards. Crop-top clad snowboarders are not something you see every day. Again I felt the chill.

Finally I had to head out with a vow to return as soon as I had sewed up some suitable winter gear.

So happy to finally be enjoying some seasonal (off-seasonal?) weather in SL!