Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Day of the Dead aka Gun Day

Popping over to Ahern yesterday I was startled to discover two *gasp* corpses. How could this be, I wondered? Mayhem in SL? Blood pooled on the walkway. The hilt of a knife clearly protruded from one fallen body.

I sat down and began a vigil, hoping to gain greater insight into the carnage and the events that may have preceded it. Shortly I discovered that the Dead(ites) occasionally make pithy statements. I attempted to gain knowledge of life after death, to no avail. The dead remain strangely silent on that topic.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us A few more bodies fell suddenly in ever-growing pools of blood. Bloody corpses at Ahern seem to attract the well-armed. Several gun-toting individuals came by at intervals, some more threatening than others.

A corpse slithered behind my bench and attempted to gnaw my ankle. Unfortunately for him, the bench leg proved to be uncircumnavigable.

A young girl with a binky came out and accosted one of the corpses with a pillow. Suddenly he rose from the dead and a wild chase ensued around the WA benches. The corpse sat down, saying he didn't want to attack a little girl. She claimed a triumphant victory and ran off. The corpse returned to his previously dead position.

Masses gathered. A lawyer came by and offered a corpse legal advice. Some mention was made of Mr. Green in the Library with the knife.

I didn't see what happened but suddenly I, too, had joined the legions of the voluntary dead. The living continued to mill about. My blood seeped into the earth to the side of the walkway. A couple times my corpse was desecrated. But the dead don't care about such things.

You may wonder about the after-death experience, as I did. But on that topic I will remain strangely silent.